Friday, August 8, 2008

Rileys Rumble

The night before the marathon, I had all my excuses not to run this race but the next day morning it was a different scene. After reaching 20 minutes late and going through not that messy registration process, searching for the bib and managing it to pin. I said good luck to my friends Shushma and Malini. The starting line was deserted and did not give any indication of the difficulty of the trail that we were about to face. Rumble in the Rileys is considered one of difficult half marathon around the DC metro area with lot of up and down hills. All the runners who are seriously considering running a full marathon use rileys as a test to their endurance and will power. This is my first half marathon. Though I have ran upto 14 miles during the practice runs this trail was nothing like any trail we ran before. The up hills were killing while the down hills were horrifying. Thanks to some good piece of advice from previous year runners to take it easy on the down hills and not to give it to gravity. To your left is the elevation chart of the course. If you could figure out what that means let me know. I'm still trying :-) . I have to talk about the good things of the trail as well. There were lot of friendly people all along t who were up that early and made it to the trail to cheer us. All the volunteers did a very good job to keep us hydrated and more importantly motivated. its funny to hear when they yell and cheer "LOOKING GOOD" when you are actually ..... you know doing "NOT SO GOOD". Some where around the 6th mile turn around I saw some familiar faces like Dilant, Ravi and few others from Marathon charity partners. They were all "LOOKING GOOD" :-). What matters the most is to finish the run and feeling that comes with that is something different. I managed to finish the 13.1 miles in 2 hours 16 minutes and 40 seconds and taking into account of the face that I started 15 to 20 minutes after gun time let say Its not that bad. 

1 comment:

santy said...

I am PROUD of you my friend :).. nee adangavae mattennu thiruppu thiruppi prove pannettirukkae... good luck for full marathon run!!