Saturday, May 12, 2007

What are you ? Where are you from ?


I believe everybody get to answer these questions in their life . I know I do . It is frustrating sometimes as much interesting it is to answer these questions . Ask your self the same questions and you may be surprised that your answers change time to time. We all have cultural identities , ethnic identities , religious identities , social identities and on . My friend once asked an Asian women we met at a bar the very same questions . She replied "I'm a social worker and I'm from Ohio" . My friend was not expecting this answer so he asked her again , I mean What are you ? She replied "Is it important for you to know whether I'm Korean or Japanese or Chinese or .... ". She didn't stop there , She asked him "Do you know who you are ?".

I had my own questions . In 21st century where Globalization had bridged gaps between countries and culture, is knowing a persons identity so important ? Are policies and politics changed but not the people ? Will uniting currencies will unite countries ? Whats the Identity of a person working in a call center in India who is asked or forced to change names , put on a fake accent and speak to people who are of different cultures and countries . I'm not questioning their dignity, My question is , Are their Identities stolen ? I don't know and I cant say for sure how long I have to wait to find these answers .

Its easy to ask questions right ? When and where are we gonna find answers . I got a decision to make . I thought I could find the answers religiously . Before I decide on that I see the religions losing their identities or Should I say religions are tailored to match peoples identities . I see religions have become real estates. All religions promised me to to find out whether I'm going to hell or heaven which is not my question at least not now. I remembered a saying from east "Within you lie the answers to all your questions" sounded spiritual but not religious . I tried .

As I tried , I started to change and so were my identities. I was arrogant later I became assertive . I was assuming later I started to experience . I was Judgmental later I started Understanding . I was afraid of changes later I started to make changes . So Who am I now ? Snowboarding is my favourite sport , No I'm not white . I was working in Dubai for two years I fasted the whole month of Ramadan , No I am not a Muslim . I worked in Singapore and Malaysia stayed in Vietnam partied in Thailand , No I am not an Asian . My favourite drink is beer , No I am not an European . I never had a New year resolution , No I am not a loser . What are you ? Where are you from ? I am all of this and I belong everywhere.

2 comments:

adas said...

Decipher for me the paintings. Do you find yourself in there.?

Pallavi Marathe said...

To know yourself is to know God and since it is not possible to know God, we do not know who we are!